Cal-Mag to my ph adjusted water

Hi there new grower ,

Do I need to add Cal-Mag to my ph adjusted water? My tds meter saids my water is at 0.03 and my water is RO water( reverse osmosis ). Do I need to get it up to 100 to 150 ppm on my tds meter with Cal-Mag ? I am using fox farm Ocean soil and my nutrients I am going to use when it starts flowering has calcium in it also. Thanks

2 Likes

@Jearm welcome to the forum. It’s always beneficial to remineralize ro or distilled water to avoid micronutrient issues. I personally use a mix of calmag, molasses, and liquid kelp to a tds of between 200-300. It covers almost all the micros you will need that are lost from purifying and distilling water plus a bit of a macro boost to potassium.

6 Likes

Question - do you think the Molasses gives enough calcium, mag and sulfur?

3 Likes

@Mrb53004 yes I do, at least with most plants. Some are just hungry for calmag though so I always add a little just to be safe.

4 Likes

Thanks Any recommendation would be appreciated thank you

@Jearm what would you like recommendations for? Calmag brand? Kelp brand? Molasses brand?

2 Likes

Recommendations for Cal mag and Kelp? I guess I should’ve told you what I was growing I am growing in the spring blue amnesia auto and grapefruit auto. I tried last year growing gorilla glue and it did not work very well. Thanks for your help

2 Likes

@Jearm for calmag I use the vegamatrix boost and for liquid kelp I use GS Plant foods organic. For molasses it varies on what I can find but I try to stick with earth juice mfp if I can’t find that I get a good organic brand of black strap molasses.

2 Likes

Hi @MDBuds I’m trying to reveg my GDP. Read they need increase Nitrogen. Using Botanicare, gave 1st feeding after harvest, gave amount for 1 week of veg, is there anything else I should use for Nitrogen??

Thanks & have a good one

2 Likes

Welcome @Jearm glad you found the forum. @MDBuds has got you some very solid advice already. Post pics and keep us updated on your new grow.

2 Likes

Should I wait to start this regiment after she starts flowering (blue amnesia auto)? She will be in Foxfarm ocean potting soil.

1 Like

@Jearm you can start it whenever you want. I use it seed to harvest.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your help

2 Likes

If only purifying to remove chlorine with a basic filter. If tds meter shows a pretty high ppm - should I still use this combination of nutes? How do you prepare your mix of calmag, molasses and kelp? Per watering or can you make in advance? Gosh, I’m so behind on the learning curve.

You do this from seed to harvest?

Do nutrient packs like those sold by Homegrown cover these nutes?

1 Like

@GrnyGrows no it isn’t necessary if your tds is in range with your normal filtered water. If your plant starts showing deficiencies because it needs more I would start doing it.

I prepare it by first aerating my water for 24 hours and then I add in my molasses, kelp, and calmag. After adding in my nutes I aerate an additional 24-48 hours. Once it’s finished I water with it immediately. It can keep for up to 3-5 days in a temp controlled environment with proper aeration but I prefer to just mix what I need as I need it.

2 Likes

@GrnyGrows and yes. I do it seed to harvest. Also, yes, the full homegrown nutrient set has everything you need.

3 Likes

What is your formula – how much of each molasses, kelp and calmag? I know its different for everyone, but I need a starting point. I’m growing in 3 gal mesh containers. And how often to you give the plants the mixture and how much mixture?

2 Likes

@GrnyGrows I start at 1 tsp each per gallon and increase as the needs of the plant increase. I use it every watering and feeding myself and just mix my feed into the aerated mixture. I water until there is just enough run off to fill about half the saucer I have under my pots so the fabric pot and the soil will soak it up like using the bottom feeding method.

2 Likes

So this mix is what we call tea, right? I get it.

1 Like

@GrnyGrows yeah you can call it a tea even though it’s just a light fertilizer with micros. The aeration is just to break down chlorine and build up oxygen in the water and develop a bit of bacteria so it can break down the sugars and nutrients in the soil. Teas generally include using a bag filled with organic nutrients such as manure or worm castings that break down and brew as you aerate. My actual tea recipe has a lot more in it.

2 Likes