Bushdoc's 2022 Grow

Q. What happens when you neglect your outdoor plants for a month?
A. They flourish!

I was away for a month and came back to a patch of plants that is kind of messy, but generally pretty healthy, with some impressive colas coming right along.

I did see one branch whose tip was covered with bud rot, and one of the autos was rotted out, but all the others look pretty good.

The equatorial African sativas are just starting to show flower, it’ll be a race with the frost for those, I expect. But the Durban Poisons, and the Afghans are right on schedule.

Lots of purple in the garden.

Next year, I’ll put plants here and there around the yard, a big patch is messy and obvious:

Especially when one branch of one of these plants will last me all year.

1 Like

Cleaned up yesterday. Pulled a dead plant, harvested my autos, defoliated and staked the heavy flower plants and did a little LST on the tallest Malawi, which is just starting to flower.

2 Likes

Looks great! Autos look
just like mine. Minimal effort for okay yeild

1 Like

How did they come out? I harvested on Monday. Had a couple of spots of bud rot, didn’t want to risk further loss.

1 Like

I harvested some branches amounting to half my plants that are well into flower. There has been danger of frost, so I figured I’d grab some now just in case.

Remainder of the plants are looking good, still some time to go before more trichomes get beige.

2 Likes

How did you do with the remaining plants?

1 Like

My last two plants, both Malawi, got 7 feet tall. They took forever to start flowering, I cut half when there was a possibility of frost. Then we had high winds a couple of days ago, which broke off several stalks. I saved the most developed of the windfalls, it’s hanging in the basement now. The others went on the compost pile. When I inspected the rest, I found powdery mildew had hit a lot of buds, so I cut those down. Now I have a few stalks with underdeveloped flowers waiting for the next freeze, which should be in a few days.

The branches I harvested earlier are ready for jars. I’ll try vaping some later today, not real optimistic about the quality as the buds seem quite immature. No matter, I have several years’ worth of Afghan and Durban Poison in jars to go through. I’ll put out a final report when I’ve cut down these last few branches.

1 Like

The herbs should be awesome companion crops and should help boost your terp profiles. Nice

Yeah, my next crop will be planted among my other crops: peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, radishes, etc. No more big patch of weed plants.

1 Like

Final Report

The Malawi lasted through a couple of frosts, but high winds below freezing broke the remaining stalks. I saved some buds that had some beige pistils, but I suspect the color change was from the stress.

I tried vaping some of the previously harvested buds from this plant. They had a bit of the hallucinatory effect that this strain is known for, but not very powerful. This is the most sativa-like plant I have every grown, very tall, long thin leaves, lots of leaves, and took forever to flower. Buds were light and airy, not nugs. Not suitable for my climate here in Massachusetts.

Durban Poison and Afghan were the big winners this year. The Kwazulu was a bust, I mishandled the plants. My blueberry photos died from mysterious causes. The bonsai mother plants all got spider mites and I gave up trying to keep them through the winter.

Next season, I’m going to try Kumaoni, a landrace from mountainous Nepal, near the Tibetan border. Hardy, plants, tolerant of cool rainy weather, flower quickly. These are used for charas, finger hash, so I’ll rub the buds to get some product, and let them go to seed.

Learned a lot this year, as usual. Let’s see if I can apply my new knowledge or if I’ll just float through in my usual haze…

4 Likes