Burping my mason jars

How many days should I burp my jars and how many times a day

1 Like

minimum once a day for first week…leave open about an hour
after that, if the are pretty dry, once every 3 to 5 days, then a week…for the first month
squeeze them to see how much moisture they have

1 Like

Thank you for the help

1 Like

@Mrb53004 Curious if you’ve tried the Boveda 58% humidor packs…I bought some for my Death Bubbas coming down Xmas day, so haven’t used them yet. Hoping to fill 10 jars in January!

1 Like

anything from 50-70 works with 70 having a much greater chance of mold forming. If the buds were dried and excess moisture was in them, 58% is fine. Also if the jar is smaller than 1 qt or not a full jar of bud, they work. Just becasue scientifically 62% is the best Rh for curing, you do not lose that much or if you are like MOST of us, it don’t last that long! :yum:

1 Like

Ya, I can keep them in my tent for 2 weeks once I cut them down. Easy to maintain it at 60F and 60%, and nothing else ready to go in there until mid-January. We get those Canadian jars, 750 ml (3 cups), I use pasta sauce jars, lol! But first time using those humidity packs, too true that my last batch didn’t last as long as it should have! I smoke 2 joints before I smoke 2 joints, or whatever I wouldn’t miss, and then I smoke 2 more!
Figured it was $20 and if it keeps things fresh and tasty, well spent. Will post my opinion in 6 months…if it lasts that long!

1 Like

I use Boveda 62% packs in my jars for curing and longer term storage

2 Likes

Mine never lasts that long. My longest was blueberry but my yield was 1.5 lbs (yes, pounds) and we usually try to keep .5 lbs on hand at all times. It lasted a year. I kept it in one of those large lemonade dispenser jars. The wife is a big big pothead, easily a cpl oz a month. I am a lightweight…1 toke and I am over the line. I literally only do 1 or maybe 2 tokes at the most. I prefer my tincture as COVID got in the way of breathing. I enjoy the variety and speed of autos and ma getting more and more inclined to not grow outdoors (summertime) any more. Just too many obstacles (basically the heat here in the desert. The stress form the constant heat (we ran 4 months at close to 110° plus temps). And the cost of a/c for the tents is too expensive so I will forgo june, july, august and early september. I will start my babies in September.
I am trying to get my tents back up since moving but so many hurdles I am facing. I haven’t even made room for them yet and I am 2 months into the move. MOVING SUCKS
As far as Bovida, anything above 50 works. I do not really know anyone who stores their bud longer than a few months, the degradation is too great and we have so many new strains and equipment at our disposal. I have even used peels from citrus (lemon, lime, orange) to add moisture. You get tot a pint where you know what it should feel like and that is with 5-10% or the humidity for the chlorophyll to convert and get a goood cure

1 Like

@Mrb53004 Ya, moving SUX but it is also good, at least for me! I was able to buy a house out in the valley an hour out of Vancouver and moved in May. No more north facing 6x6 patio with crappy light for me! Have a yard I will put some out in the summer, and a tent for winter/fall/spring.
My issue is the cold! It’s been below freezing for the last week up here, COB lights don’t put out much heat. Had to buy one of those Honeywell personal heaters for $20 and put in the tent on LOW, gets up to 67 with lights on, drops to 60 with lights off. Which I’m good with now, they enter darkness after tomorrow’s light goes out, down on Christmas morning.
I’m hoping to get a pound off of my 4, and that SHOULD last me a year…unless it’s crappy and I smoke lots. Or it’s really good and I smoke lots! Might end up being the latter, I plan on retiring on 4/20 this spring! Freedom 58!

1 Like

I went to Amazon and bought simple BLACK (I can use at dark time without affecting plant) cermaic heat bulbs
150 and 250w - amazon
250 w black ceramic
I ran a tent in garage so I use a floor cover for thermal protection of ground to tent floor, lights at night so I get the heat and black bulbs so at lights out it doesn’t affect the plants in their veg / flower stages

1 Like

I like that…$16US, but up in Canada it’s $29 and $6 import fees and delivery and taxes…$40 here! Man, us Canucks are getting screwed with high prices! Gas is high, liquor is double what you pay (at least! You guys get Scotch with handles for less than we pay for a 26’er!). Ironically, weed is cheap!
Next fall (or early next year) I’ll put some Styrofoam sheets or a couple of ceiling tiles under my 4x4 tent so it’s not right on the concrete…good idea, thanks for that! I didn’t think of it when I started mine in August, thot I’d be finished and smoking them by now!
Live and learn!

1 Like

I learned early on that the ground permeates its temps to the bases of the containers. MDBuds got me hep to that. So you can teach an old dog new tricks! I use the dishdrain water absorbing mats you put under a dish drain. Then I put a blanket on top of that and that was the end of thermal leakage
It is a funny thing. I like a good scotch (and rye, bourbon, whiskey), single malt preferred, not any cherry oak cask aging, and usually Irish…The Canadian whiskeys are very very good but I have to pay more for them. Gee, think we can ship back and forth to each other or will customs get in the way?

1 Like

LOL! I’ve seen Canadian Whiskeys in the US for less than they are up here! We had a Gov’t Liquor Store strike years ago and all the liquor stores were closed. Beer and wine stores sell just that, so no hardbar unless you went to a bar and paid $6/oz!
I would cross the border, hit the Duty Free on the way down, then go buy gas, and then drive back with my smuggled bottle, which cost LESS than it did up here!

So it would benefit ME, not you! Still, would enjoy sitting back with a single malt and a joint one day with ya, if I ever head down to Vegas again! Or if you ever come up to Vancouver area, drop a note.

My old mentor use to make some of the best shine around and could grow good to god bless him he’s been gone for few years he taught me alot growing up around him his son was one of my best friend and them to was so much a like they but heads but his dad showed me everything he love me being around him and he growed on river bank and they get 10 to 12 I used go help him and i be looking for cops lol old memories