Building compost

I have little farm and im building compost any good ideas

1 Like

Reed, here is a link about composting. I have been following this guy for years as he dispels myths about soil, compost, feeding. Gee, wish I had a farm…
Secrets of Compost
I run 2 composts…one for edible veggies, one for my canna…I am not concerned about using animal dung (chicken, cow, horse, etc) and the bacterial concerns associate with them. What I want from them is the HEAT!!!My hardest part is greens (N), I cannot even get grass clippings…so frikin hot here in vegas and they have a brown law becasue of water shortages. I have to use leafs from my trees (mostly olive) and the browns are easy

2 Likes

I’ve been building compost for many years thanks for the link i am thankful i have everything here in ky 4 seasons. learning all about other methods and others opinions on the matter thanks

1 Like

@Daddy1971 it depends on what you are using the compost for.

Generally though I find the best stuff is a mix of manure and veggie compost.

Follow your normal layers brown green brown green etc…

Brown is your dry carbon rich stuff like cardboard, dry leaves, sticks, etc…

Green is your wet material like manure, grass clippings, green leaves, veggie scraps, etc…

I find using manure with the green adds some extra microbial life and makes hot composting faster. Also makes it easier to get it hot enough to kill any pests, pathogens, or seeds that might be in your materials.

1 Like

@Daddy1971 I also prefer to use a tumbler composter and I also use a vermiculture composter so I can get worm castings to mix with my compost.

1 Like

Useing it for all plants yea i can go to my compost and its full of red worms and im building a tumbler to get the most thanks again for the input @MDBuds and @Mrb53004

1 Like

unless you are going to use an old cement mixer as your tumbler, please show off those McGuiver skills in a DIY tumbler
I have a triple worm farm and a single…I use red wrigglers and canadian night crawlers
@MDBuds - what is a vermiculite composter? it is tedious to extract my worm castings using a screen

2 Likes

Have to ask MD about that word not sure what tedious means and i will make diy for a tumbler going to use 50 gallon plastic drums

1 Like

tedious means …difficult…a pain in the butt…not easy…requires my attention for an extended period of time…I cannot stay awake or focused that long :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 a vermiculture composter is just a worm bin designed to be put in the garden. Also called a vermicomposter.

It’s just a trash bin with a lid. Cut the bottom out and drill 1 inch holes around the bottom 6 inches of the bin and file them smooth. Then you dig a hole in your garden deep enough to cover the holes and then fill the dirt back in around it. Then you treat it like a normal worm bin. It let’s the worms roam free around the garden when they propagate and helps move the worm castings through the top soil and you can still harvest the bin when needed for extra.

3 Likes

Im going to build one on ground so i can back my tiller up to it to mix it