Brown fan laves

I planted my Blueberry x Big Bud plant about 3 weeks ago. It has been doing really well, there are about 6 set of leaves but yesterday the 2nd set of fan leaves started to turn brown (see attached photo). This is my third indoor plant and I have not seen this happen so early in the grow. I am reluctant to trim them because the plant is so young. I am wondering if it is a lack of nutrient issue or something else. I transplanted the seedling about a week and a half ago into an intermediate sized pot and I am about to transplant it into the final pot. I have not given any nutrients yet other than the Fox Farm soil. I haven’t given it any nutrients yet because I transplanted it a week and a half ago in new soil so I assumed that I didn’t need to add nutrients for 1-2 weeks. I am about to transplant it into its final pot and, again, the new soil will be high in nutrients so I am going to wait another 1-2 weeks to give it nutrients. So I have two questions:

1. Any ideas why my leaves are turning brown?
  2. Should I be adding nutrients after transplanting even though the new soil has nutrients?
1 Like

1 Like

Many questions. But is the dirt wet all the time? What is the soil mix? How close are the lights? What schedule?

2 Likes

looks like it’s holding a lot of water. The brown is already gone. Clip the 2 bad leafs. It will use any energy trying to fix them. Let the air on the soil to dry

2 Likes

The soil is not “wet” all the time. I water when it is dry on top but still moist about 1/2" to 1" deep. I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil, https://foxfarm.com/product/ocean-forest-potting-soil, it is a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, earthworm castings, bat guano, fish emulsion, and crab meal. The 300 Watt LED light is approximately 15" above the plant and it is on an 18/6 schedule.

2 Likes

With the soil you used, it is NOT devoid of nutrients…just the opposite. Unless you started with OLD soil, there is easily enough nutrients in FF to feed these plants pretty much all the way to flower. You need to lift your pots to see if they need water, not just the finger test. If you were over watering, the leaves would be drooping more than what we see but possible, I do see some floppiness. That could also be due to adding nutrients and burning the plant / roots. It could be Rh too high. I do not think lights because that would affect the top leaves, not the bottoms. Are you misting, maybe while lights are on? I did not see you mention coca so let the container dry out, the plant will ask for water. Do not transplant until you get their health back and NO ADDED NUTES. The soil has plenty, you will cause nutrient lock. Light recommendation is about 18-24 inch. What is your Rh and average temp? Did you have a cold or hot period? And WHAT STRAIN are you growing?

4 Likes

Mine look the same. Ima try cal/mag no I’m not ima scrap it and the dirt.

2 Likes

Either cal/mag or wind burn, is therea fan blowing on them?

1 Like

If you need cal/mag, it would be becasue of nutrients but with a plant this young and FF soil, I do not think so. You might need the ca or mg to help unlock the uptake of nutes but that would be from improper feeding

1 Like

I don’t think it is windburn. I use General Hydroponics nutrients. Like I said, I haven’t used any on this plant yet. I think I am just going to trim those two leaves and monitor it.

1 Like

1 Like

Not wind burn. If it were, it would be broader based, across much more than just the lower leaves. It almost looks like when we get rust or fungus from not enough air on the plant but the leaves still look droopy, not reaching up as they should. You could crush up some eggshell (tblspn), vinegar or lemon juice (1 lemon or 1/4 cup vinegar), sit for a day, siphon off the milky and add 1 tspn to quart spray bottle, add 1/4 tsp Epson salt, spray. Plants absorb cal/mag quicker through leaves than through roots. You would see response in 1/2 days. I would trim off those leaves in case it is bacteria, fungi, mold, rust, etc.

Really nobody here knows what it is?? I really thought someone would know. I had my guy look at it. He said keep it by itself. He is thinking it may be contagious. Yet it looks like mag deficiency and fungus. When he goes to class he will ask his Horticulture Professor. I told him to take it with as I am going to throw it out. Pot and all.

1 Like

@kmac03 what do you think? Over water and then light burn?

1 Like

Did you get all the soil off the leaves after you transplanted? Thank you for tagging me. :v:

Don’t throw it out just pinch those leaves off and let it run and see how it goes. Could be the best plant in your grow that usually how it happens

I’m good this poor guy needs help.

Hay Brian what’s your humidity at

Answering a few questions here…I do not plan on throwing it out. I trimmed the two leaves and will continue to monitor. I specifically remember there being soil on the leaves just after I transplanted but I think I managed to get it all off. My humidity is really low, it generally runs bout 10-15%. Not ideal. Temperature stays around 75 deg F. I also do not think it is light burn because it seems to me like the top leaves would be experiencing this, not the bottom ones. The upper leaves are fine. Someone mentioned that they know a horticulturist. I would be happy to send the two leaves to them if someone thinks it is worthwhile.

It really looks like it was over watered for a while. Then moved the light close. Thinking it was to far. The leafs droop and at the vary edge curl upward the droop was water the curl up was light