Blue Java banana

Sorry not cannabis. But I have to share anyway. I have been on a waitlist for this plant for 2 years. Mine finally came today. It feels like Christmas.
This is a cold hardy banana that taste delicious. All the other cold hardy ones are fibrous bananas that are not edible. Except animal feed. This one is supposed to taste like vanilla ice cream. And the bananas are blue. I am so excited.

5 Likes

Dang - blue Java banana sounded like a tasty strain…. :yum:

Can you clone it? If so I want to claim “dibs”.

2 Likes

:joy: @CurrDogg420 bananas are special indeed

Bananas grow pups from the ground near the main root ball. Like sucker branches on a grafted apple or peach root stock. (Love me some bench grafting. I can whip them out.). I would be glad to mail you a pup this spring if u are serious? Mine all ready has a lovely little pup popping up a few inches in the pot. :slight_smile:

They are only cold tolerant to 20•f and can’t take extended freeze snaps unfortunately. It would have to go in next the kratom after the frost I am afraid. Coastal Seattle usually is 40s-50s all winter long with the very occasional brrr.

My cold hardy Musa Basjoo finally put up a flower and bunch this year. It only waited 5 years. I could hardly put my tongue to the fruit it was so bitter. And it seemed more like coco coir when squished it was so fibrous. Not even chocolate chips and foil in the camp fire was fixing that.

1 Like

**Bananas are OK. Best I can do to top that is a Rainbow Eucalyptus that grows to 60 feet, taking hold in the ground as we speak. Two Banana trees have been in good soil at least three months, cold hardy, like the Avocado. The Cherry trees could yield 100lbs of fruit. Done diggin for this year, thank you, 30 holes is enough. GSC+JH is going good with coffee this am, that must be why your banana tree looked like it was growing out of the wall. I’m thinking Wow that’s cool. I have to find the guy who asked me if I knew what I was doing when I planted MD, BBF, GSC+JH and SK. OMG, I’m still trimming. **

Nothing beats the fruit and veg you grow yourself. The nutritional compounds in fruit begin to break down the minute it is picked and continue to degrade, so you can’t beat growing your own for healthy eating.

Just now saw this…This is the Ice-cream banana tree, right…So how is she doing??

It’s still alive. It was doing great until I repotted it. It came incredibly root bound in a 1 gallon nursery pot. I put it into a 3 gallon smart pot. The only problem was the roots had thickened and grown/woven into the drain holes. When I removed it for the up-pot a lot of damage to the roots happened. It has been sad ever since. It is still in the garage under a 100w led next to my lemon, lime, and mandarin trees. It will recover. A lot of leaves browned and yellowed the next week. I had to remove most of the leaves. It has since limped along some new ones.

If I could redo it I would just leave it root bound till spring and I could put it out in the :sun_with_face:.