Best home mix soil?

Trying to get an idea of what is the best way to mix my own soil for autos from store bought products. (Home Depot, Lowe’s…) Is cow manure compost suitable or no? I will be using Dr Earth nutrients. Thank you in advance for any help.

4 Likes

@DonG there’s no need for manure if doing autos since they don’t veg as long and don’t need the extra nitrogen. A good organic base soil amended with coco and perlite or pumice mixed with the Dr. Earth dry nutes for soil should work seed to harvest. I’d add some mychorrizae too.

So about 70% soil 20% coco coir and 10% perlite or pumice is what I would do and then amend with 1/2 the recommended soil amendment for photoperiods. Then just top dress as needed through the grow if deficiencies develope.

4 Likes

Thank you. I have 2 growing now with a manure mix and they are in week 7 and flowering, but they are very small. I was afraid the manure might have not been a good idea.

1 Like

@DonG yeah. Nitrogen is great for veg but it can turn to excess pretty quick when flower comes and lock out other nutrients.

Another thing that helps a lot with autos is aeration for root development. Adding that coco and perlite or pumice will help them root better and take better advantage of nutrients in the soil.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing autos in slow feed potting soil with a little extra perlite. Feeding with Miracle-Gro liquid now and then.

1 Like

Try Pro-Mix Red and white package, plus Perlite maintains a good ph and gives the roots the oxygen it needs to grow through proper drainage where you don’t water log the roots or root rot. However I am just a newby and still wet behind the hears. But interested and always trying to learn from others like you guys!

Note:
It is one of the most recommended blend and pre mixed already. Check the blend out yourself and save much time.