Bending growing tips

I still have my spiral bound ‘Bible’ from MANY years ago. I know things change…but I’ve been surprised to not see any postings about bending the growing tips to allow more stem to develop buds. Does anybody do this any more?

4 Likes

Kris, wow, that i s an old book. We STILL use LST, Fim, Top for training. Main purpose is to increase the amount of tops (colas) so thee are more buds. When we bend / strap the stems to a horizontal grow, we allow for greater light penetration, more / bigger buds. When we fim and top, we increase how many tops the plant has…much like sea of green. When we damage the stems slightly (roll in fingers, bend over with a slight crook), we increase potency to that site / stem. When we schwaz, Schwazzing is defoliating the larger leaves, almost like lolipopping, to allow all the strength and light to go right to the tips. We still use these techniques

4 Likes

LOL…yeah, well you know, the book and I have aged. Bending over the growing tips was the only way I knew of for increasing buds, and it really did well! It’s so interesting trying to catch up with all these new options I didn’t have a clue about. Damage the stems? Now that’s totally a new concept for me! I’ll have to read up on that one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking of damaging stems:

If you wish to screw around with one plant (NOT your whole Grow), look into this: https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-splitting-stems-should-you-take-a-knife-to-your-cannabis-plant-n1207

But Truth be told: I have not done it yet, myself. I would only do it, if I could afford to lose that plant lol.

2 Likes

LOL…thanks for letting me know you have not tried it. Since my plants are very limited…I don’t think I’m going to risk it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if this qualifies, but I was “twisting the main stem between my fingers” so it could be bent over easily (it was getting too tall for the tent). As soon as I went to bend it I heard a crack/snap and the top plus top two rows of branches were broken off - literally fell off the plant. Well, I let it grow alongside another plant I didn’t touch (the two were the same type and age of plant, and even the size and shape. In the end, the “broken” plant ended producing about 1/3 more dried buds than the undamaged plant.

I’m sure this story is more about topping, but it seemed appropriate in terms of the “fear factor” when thinking of damaging your plants to increase the yield, etc.

6 Likes

I did that years and years ago. You could easily have the stalk fall over and force you to crop early. We used to drill a hole AFTER WE TAPED. Personally I did NOT see any rise in production or quality that was measurable. I was growing hydro and I am not sure you can get any more from a plant than using the special nutrients at special times. That had more effect on quantity and quality than anything else. These were also under monster lights in 4x4. 1000w solar storm 880’s with uv option for flower time. They outproduced any other light I ever used. For a single, homegrown approach,I would not do it. If you grow clean, decent, you will get a decent return. Not time to be greedy when you grow just a couple / few plants

5 Likes

Awesome! I had this book back in the eighties.

3 Likes

LOL…yeah, it’s pretty old. I’m so thankful I purchased the spiral bound edition because I used it quite a bit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have it saved as pdf and can email if desired. This way it doesn’t get wet :rofl:

6 Likes

If you’re offering, I’d love a copy.

3 Likes

Brian please send me an email link and I will forward it. I am not sure if I can upload it to this site

2 Likes

[email protected], thanks alot!

2 Likes

Brian Did you get it?

I got your email asking if I got it, but I didn’t get it

what about now? You should have received it, possibly twice. Once in email, once in link to OneDrive folder. I sent as a zip file compressed

I got it! Thank you so much, I really appreciate that!

1 Like