Being Proactive for Future Pest Control

So I have been doing research on 100% Organic products that can be used to prevent insecticides, fungicides, and miticides, but there are so many choices and I am so new at this, it’s a bit overwhelming. Not to mention it is tough to find 1 with all the requirements, or even if it exists on the market or not. The things I am looking for in a product is as follows…

1)100% Organic OMRI listed, or something with similar quality
2) Systemic
3)Can be used from start to harvest/consumed by humans
4)Has 3-1 insecticide, fungicide, and miticide
5)Does not affect PH in soil

I have read a few posts on the forum, which mention Diatomaceous Earth(Food Grade) which does seem good, but does not meet all of my requirements. If I can’t find anything that is exactly what I am looking for, I may give it a try. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

1 Like

Try this

3 Likes

Great, thanks Mrb53004! The Sierra Natural Science brand was actually the last product I checked out, and I was leaning towards it, but I haven’t had a chance to read any reviews on it yet. Grateful for the advice!!

Gonna follow this one. Something I’m very interested in. I currently use DE, milky spore and a few things in my vegetable garden.

@SkinnyJ Sns 209 is my favorite preventative pest control that is NOP compliant. It repels and potentially kills most common pests and is a systemic treatment that can be used seed to harvest.

As far as mold, bacteria, and fungal control I’ve just always used milk as a preventative and treatment. It works better than any other fungicide or antibacterial treatment for wilt that I have ever used. On top of that it’s cheap and works great to feed the soil microbes as well.

3 Likes

HI MDBuds, im curious how is the milk used?

@mikes I use it as a preventative and a treatment. As a preventative I use 1 part milk to 9 parts water and foliar spray about once a week during seedling and veg. I don’t use it during flower unless I get mold or mildew then I’ll use it as a treatment and just wash my buds after harvest.

As a treatment I use it 50/50 milk and distilled water or even just straight milk in a spray bottle. The acids and bacteria in the milk will kill fungus and bacteria. Raw milk works the best but pasteurized milk still works too since raw milk is almost impossible to get legally in the US.

I personally prefer organic whole milk because it has more fats left in it to help it stick to the plant and enough sugars to keep the bacteria in it alive and healthy. 2% and low fat milk will still work too I just dilute it less so it sticks to the plant better.

4 Likes

Great info , thank you!

Yeah, great info on the milk, thanks for the wisdom MDBuds!

1 Like

Ordered the SNS 209 yesterday from their website, it was $7 cheaper there than from Amazon.

2 Likes

@SkinnyJ a couple of inches of sand on top chokes gnats, then i just use cheap stuff.

plus, some Beneficial Nematodes for organic grows GIF_20210210_121405 :wave:

2 Likes

@DollarBill Thanks for the info, such helpful people on this forum, nice pics BTW, I love the visuals!

1 Like

@DollarBill Also I keep hearing about these Nematodes, I haven’t done any research into them yet, but they seem pretty popular. Thanks again!:+1:

2 Likes

@SkinnyJ nematodes are microscopic predatory insects that attack and eat common soil pests like gnat and caterpillar larvae. They are a great resource to use as long as you get the right predatory nematodes. You don’t want to accidentally buy the ones that will kill beneficial insects so make sure to buy from reputable dealers or at the very least make sure you research the type of nematode you are buying if getting a generic brand from a hardware store or nursery to make sure you are introducing the right ones.

My personal favorite “brand” is from buildasoil.com but I will also buy from arbico-organics.com for smaller jobs if my local nursery is out and the hardware stores don’t have what I need which is quite frequently lately.

4 Likes

I have been working on a pest control treatment and hopefully will share it soon (still in development and will need test sites). 100% organic. Non-gmo. There’ s a trace amount of potassium bicarbonate (wine reduction agent) for ph adjustment, but less than .001% by volume. everything else is organic
I will be looking for documentation along with a free sample…I believe I have hit on something that I can take to market…

1 Like

@MDBuds Ok great, appreciate the info and the 2 leads. I will check them out to familiarize myself with them prior to going to my local shop.

2 Likes