Animal deterrent

Hey everyone.im looking for other people’s ideas on keeping animals from eating my stuff! Fencing is not an option.i have everything here that northern Ohio has .my main concern is deer and groundhogs.i currently have a bar of ivory soap taped to my pot on one,so far so good knock on wood.dont really want to use Sevin at all but would consider in veg stage if anything starts getting ate.i planted autos in three different stages…what about mixing cayenne pepper in water and spaying on?? Economical is good!

Plant peppermint on edges of your grow area. Also Iris spring soap pieces as long as you can keep it from leaching into your plants.

@Franko garlic sprays and pepper sprays work decent but shouldn’t be used in flower. Another thing that works pretty well for deer but not sure if your neighbors would mind is motion activated spot lights set to only stay on a few seconds when a large animal comes by. It’ll spook the deer off and won’t hurt the dark time for your plants. Another option are those propane/diesel powered cannons that sound like a shotgun blast. They use them a lot on large farms but that’s definitely a noise concern if you have neighbors close.

You can plant marigolds flowers around your grow keeps animals away

1 Like

Cactus is cheap in most cases.
Just a thought.

I’m using peppermint oil and planted some basil around garden and seems to be working.wondering if the deer even like the buds once resin in on them?? Thanks for the input

Use human hair springled outside the pots and about. Don’t be scared to take a wizz about too. You’ve got a smell so use it. I have also used ground up dried hot peppers cast around too. I have deer come close all around the property and so far this has worked.

1 Like

My sister gave me a haircut this weekend and I saved the hair for just this purpose. We put any hair we comb out of the dogs around them too.

I also dried out some ripe habaneros and a few other hot peppers I picked out of the garden to make up a spray. I’m having second thoughts about using it though - one of my dogs decided he likes to roll around in the grass over there. Maybe I’ll just use it on the pots themselves.

Welcome to the club @Mickeyjane - great tips.

1 Like