Advice on best time to start germination

The idea with LST, unlike topping,you don’t cut anything. Yes, when the plant is maybe three weeks, enough to work with, I simply poke a hole near the rim of the felt pot with an ice pick, and thread the end of a pipe cleaner (Walmart craft calls them fuzzy sticks), and form a gentle cane like hook to hold the plant down. Over about three weeks time, I keep adjusting and adding restraints, until the plant begins to flower. Once it starts to flower, the stem will get stiff enough to undo the ties and let it go. By then the magic has happened. I’m not a botanist, but essentially by tying the topmost flower site just a skinny bit lower than the next bud sites, the hormones get fooled, and sent to the secondaries instead of the natural cola. I literally think it’s as simple as fooling it into rising through the plant to the highest level. Anyway, yes, you end up with secondary colas that can match or exceed the original top. My short, little plant is a good example. The natural top is the second highest stalk at maturity. Now if we were running photos instead of autos, there would be time to tie and stimulate multiple colas. But with autos, time is the limiting factor.

You’ve done the hardest learning, keeping the little s**ts alive. Now to maximize return for the invested time…

1 Like

I have a third set of Sour Diesel autos (my sativa run :stuck_out_tongue: #5-9) that are two weeks old. I just started bringing them outside. they’re like 4" tall and just barely pushing out second round of true leaves.
So I should probably wait till they have their next level of leaves/bud site before tying them down, maybe 10-14 more days? I was wanting to transplant them in the next 7 days @ around 3 weeks old… to push more summer sun than my first run got in the beginning.
Im thinking with a sativa I should try harder to do some LST.
https://homegrowndiary.com/diary/1569-sournott-510/week/2

I wait until they’re maybe six inches tall, whatever it takes to gently, over a few seconds, arc the stem over and loop the hook of my pipe cleaner “cane” over a crotch, and loosely secure it. MDbuds could probably give you a much more detailed method, but your main idea is, as above, get that top lower than the next couple of branches, and you’ll make magic. Gently is a watch word. Don’t rough em up.

When your blueberry are looking like this, you’ll be close, maybe a week away.

1 Like

I find no pleasure in the germ/seedling phase.
It would be cool if I could go to a nursery and buy 6 inch high plants. Kind of like Burpees at Home Depot. Lol

1 Like

That’s what you can find out here in West Coast legal states! Well, not WA specifically unless you are with a medical grow co-op. But in Oregon you can buy “clones”, apparently, like 6" plants started from clones. I don’t have first hand experience but it’s what I found out with trying to find them here. I also feel like this was common with CA medical back-in-the-day; though I was already blown away to finally acquire my access and there was no possible consideration for me to home-grow, it’s “all from Humbolt” anyways.

1 Like