About that 12/12 thingy

Critical Blue/photo
WTX

So this behemoth has been cranking away for 3 months. Since I garden far more than raise weed I was curious how a natural grow would go, so my plan has been to just let it grow and then once the middle of Sept came the plant would have that 12/12 to begin flowering. But, ah, even with 15 hours of natural light aren’t we forming pistils here? Doesn’t this plant look like it’s going to flower way before Sept?

Anyone ever try this before? If so what should I expect?
@Mrb53004

3 Likes

Lookin mighty fine! Depending on location,she’s gunna do what mother nature tells her to do. I would let it ride lol. To be honest im more indoor than outdoor but my friends that do outdoor mainly question this issue,i think your gunna have one heck of a nice plant come harvest!
Depending on strain and again,location they can flower sooner or later because we have many factors at play here. Temps,on/off lighting/nutes/ etc. etc. I wouldnt worry,just enjoy the ride lol.

2 Likes

Yep, she’s flowering!

I’m trying it for my first time so I don’t really know what to expect either. And I’m a bit farther north. From what I’ve read, they should usually start showing around August.

About the 12/12 thingy, Sativa is native to the equator, where daylight hours don’t shift very much from 12. So if you had a pure Sativa it might be more sensitive to that. But most cultivars now are hybrid with Indica, which is native to higher latitudes.

For a gardening comparison, think long day vs short day onions. Some will be more genetically disposed to flower earlier. Eventually as the prohibition relaxes the breeders will probably be able to select for that.

3 Likes

Interesting points. Thanks, Dogg

early flower…approx 7-10 weeks of flowering…so perfect to chime in with mother nature and cooler August nights, longer nights…let her do her thing

5 Likes

she looks great! i wish mine were that green!

1 Like

Nice and bushy. I love to plant seeds in the ground and just water, gives some nutes and let Nature take its course. If you fish, bury the carcasses around her. I think that once days start to get shorter, even a minute or two per day, the plants know fall is coming. Depending on their genes, they may begin pre flowering, if they are a northern species or wait if they are a southern species. I am no horticulturist, just my theory. Down her in the peenis State (FL), sativas outside usually begin flowering mid to end of August and take until end of Oct/Nov. But weed is weird, sometimes it doesn’t follow the rules. Always remember, Moses saw God in a burning bush.

3 Likes

Two months today. Not looking too good (combination of natural drop at flowering stage and 2 months of drought), but I’m curious as to why trich’s have been opaque for well over a month. this plant looks choppable but every day I give it another day for more amber. Should I chop it down?

2 Likes

I live in the desert too and this has been a god awful summer. Most of my crop fried. Chop them as they are not going to get any better…too much heat stress and you really need to trim off the dead leaves to prevent bud rot from creeping in. Cool weather is finally upon us at night. I am still hitting 100F in the day
No more summer growing for me, just too difficult here in Las Vegas.

2 Likes

God, ain’t that the truth. We were very lucky earlier this year with just an incredible amount of rain (and snow), but typically these areas are just so hard to garden. People will say “but just water more”, not knowing that after 2 months of drought water is as quickly absorbed into the surrounding bone-dry dirt as to the plants themselves. My half above, half below beds were built to isolate more water but it’s still often difficult raising healthy plants. Gonna go with a PVC watering system next spring so I can absolutely flood the garden a couple of times a day.

Will be chopped down today. Thanks for all your guidance.

1 Like

Actually, another question.

Should I just trash this weed? Until next year’s season, I have plenty from my first plant and am now curious if this one will taste like shit.

1 Like

if the terpenes are well developed, that will account for the taste so do not ditch it. You have nothing to lose so try chopping, drying and curing.
Since this is a desert plant, gently soak the buds in a shallow pail of fresh water, remove, fresh water, rinse again gently…no cold water, do not want to wash away the THC. Hang, dry 2 hrs under a fan, trim, dry, cure and taste

3 Likes

Don’t trash it! Process it and see if it does taste like shit for real instead of speculating. Learn from the experience.

1 Like