5 gallon buckets knightmirror

I had a bad problem and thought I could save everyone the headaches. Purchased some new 5 gallon buckets from Lowes. Cleaned them out good and wiped them out with peroxide. I mixed up a batch of nukes like a hundred times before. Water is RO 0 ppms.Turned my bubbles on to mix it. Shut the bubbles off to check the ppms and ph. Ph was 6.5 the ppms were 2040. Make a long story .The 0 ppm water shot up to 550 after I put it in the clean buckets. I have 8 of them and they all do the same thing. I check the water coming out of the RO and it 0 ppm. 6.0ph. I’ve used Lowes 5 gallon buckets for 15 years and never had this issue. The only thing I can figure is the peroxide I used to wipe the buckets out with did something to the plastic. I’ve used peroxide for years to clean with.

3 Likes

I bet it’s the sanitizer they use before putting out for the public. Call them and ask what they are using. Most retail places have a plan in place for such a thing these days.

You have to make sure you get FOOD GRADE or the leaching raises the TDS. It is a profit / greed thing. The buckets USED to all be food grade but now that is a separate entity

3 Likes

So glad this thread occurred. I was just talking to my hubs about the need for some buckets. I’ll just go hit up some restaurants, I guess.

1 Like

@Charles yeah man @Mrb53004 is spot on. Quality has gone way down over the years and now if you want something that used to be a quality standard you’re going to have to pay unreasonable prices.

The regular cheapo buckets at my home depot are only $5 each. The food grade ones with lids are like $30 each. It’s definitely a far cry from the cost to quality we used to get a decade or two ago.

2 Likes

Now they have something called “FOOD SAFE”. I am not sure if that means there is no leaching but here is a link for 3 at $16
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-Gal-Blue-Bucket-Pack-of-3-209334/203924937?MERCH=REC--pipsem--300197644--203924937--N
Blue…so you do not have the transparency that can cause excessive algae growth

2 Likes

Its definitely a down grade. I’ve bought my buckets there at the same store for 10 years. They have the food grade but they are white. I like the black or blue buckets because of the algae.

1 Like

@Charles buy the white food grade ones and then paint them black or wrap them in some blackout fabric. Problem solved.

1 Like

@Charles i’ve emptied buckets to checked root growth after every grow for all but 14 years of my life and i’ve never seen algae in even one

:v: 80 Watts

1 Like

You are only 14? Are you even allowed to be on this site? :astonished:

@kmac03 14 years old? :thinking: read again cuz i’m 67 and i read this post wrong when i replied they were speaking Nute Buckets not soil buckets :v:

1 Like

I’m really awful at jokes. :octopus:

1 Like

@kmac03 hahahaha You’re Better than you think, cuz you had me going

1 Like

That is a good idea, if they’ll give it to you. Those things are expensive. I’m gonna check at a local restaurant supply store.

1 Like

Yeah, my hubs (who used to be a cook) said that buckets are a hot commodity in the restaurant biz and I probably wouldn’t score any. Thing is, unless I ask, the answer will still be no, so it doesn’t hurt to try. I’m stubborn. :crazy_face:

@kmac03, you are right. That was my motto when I worked for local non-profit.

1 Like

I would love to hear about your non-profit one day. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You may regret that lol. I’ll have to email my phone # ; we can chat all this typing ugh

1 Like