2021 BruceBannerFast and StrawberryCough Outdoor Grow

I am too old to get insulted and didn’t take it as a jab…just letting you know we are here to help in any way we can…so an apology from me if it seems that way

2 Likes

It did, accepted and back atcha. If I could make a suggestion, soften your verbiage a bit. It can be seen as aggressive and condescending.

Moving on…nuff said…

Evening update…
Moved seeds from glass to paper towel for another 12-24 hours. Wanting a tap at least 3/4 inch. 2 days of floating.

Sunday, 18 Apr 21…
END OF WEEK 1G/1… Took 3 days to germinate. From floating to paper towel.
Morning Update…
All seeds popped and have a nice taproot. SCO dropped both shell halves. Moved her along with the others. Moved seeds from paper towel to red solo cups. Cups filled with Nectar 4 soil. Watered down with a small amount of VitaMix Grow before planting seeds. Water soil before seeds to prevent seeds from floating to the top. Covered cups with plastic wrap. Poked a few holes.

Lights 6-12” away from cups.

24-48 hours for sprouts to appear…ugh.

Will run lights on a 24 hour schedule for about the first 2-3 weeks of seedlings.

For me that’s about 2-3 weeks in cups. Than to a 1 gallon cloth. They’ll stay there till I final pot up to the 25 gal cloth pots.

1st pot up at 3-4” tall, second or third set of leaves and again 2-3 weeks timeframe.

Temp in tent is mid 70’s, per the thermometers. Will try and push it up closer to 80 for the seedlings. RH is good till exhaust comes on then it sucks all the moisture out. Titan set to 85 so will move it up a bit.

Monday, 19 Apr 21…
Evening update…
Nothing from seeds. Temp still hanging in the low 70’s. Turned up the heater a bit and turned up the temperature controller on the Titan5.

Tuesday, 20 Apr 21…
Morning update…
Nothing from seeds. Temperature dropped below 70 hanging around 69. Turned up the heater a bit.

Afternoon update…
3 of the 7 have sprouted. 2 BBF’s and 1 SC. The SC is SCN. Will check them at bedtime to see if plastic can come off of these. The rest will remain till the weekend. Still hopeful. 2 days from germination.

Temp is as usual driving me crazy. Down well below 70 at 67. Turned heater up again. RH is above 70 so that’s good.

Now that we have sprouts will need to work harder on the temp.

Evening update…
Temp much better. Above 75. Humidity is holding above 65.

Still nothing out of other seeds. BBF #1 is hitting the plastic. Will leave on till morning.

Wednesday, 21 Apr 21…
Morning update…
Removed plastic from the 3 that sprouted. Still nothing on the others. The 3 look very good.

Thursday, 22 Apr 21…
Morning update…
Temp is finally respectable at 76. RH holding in the high 70’s. Turned the heater up just a bit more.

Early evening update…
Then turned it down…lol. Was at 85-90.

Update, missed SCN. Probably sprouted this morning.

Friday, 23 Apr 21…
End of WEEK 1S/2…
Missed morning update. Which is unfortunate because I would have caught another sprout.

So SCO has decided to joint the fray…lol. Found her pushing up to the plastic which means I missed her the last day or so.

I’m putting her at Thursday morning.

Checked the last 3 a little more closely, nothing…I think…LOL. Will leave them in the tent till Sunday then call it a wash.

Temps and RH are well within range. Temps coming in at 78…ish and RH is a respectable 70+.

So we have a garden. I’m extremely happy with the 4 because of what I can do with a plant. And very happy to see what I can get out of the StrawberryCough. It’s all about the manipulation…lol.

I have heard that most of my life…it comes from being raised in INNER CITY NEW YORK…it instills a kurt, crass, aggressive nature. Have tried most of my life to get rid of it so thanks for pointing it out. It is hard to see from the inside

2 Likes

Dam. Did we just have a moment…lol. All good morning friend. Besides it’s your knowledge and wisdom we’re after. Been checking out a few other journals and see your input. Spot on…

1 Like

Ah What a wonderful moment. Lol hugs all around :hugs:

1 Like

Saturday, 24 April 21…
Morning update…
So we took a long hard look at the remaining 3. Absolutely nothing out of one. The other two did shed their shells but seem to have died off. Removed the plastic and gave everything a splash of water. Minimum runoff.

Moved LED to within 16”. Temps and RH are within range.

Will put small fan inside to get the air moving.

Sunday, 25 Apr 21…
Morning update…
Lights were out. Was using a WiFi plug. May go back to the timer.

Checked in on the gurls. Was about to remove the last 2 cups. Gently moved the soil from the seed and felt some give from the tap root. Her cotyledon is green with signs of a first leaf. And the second seed also has signs of life. So stay they will…LOL.

Evening update…
So we’ll call the 2 BFFL and SCNL…”L”…for late. Clearly sprouting up with first leaf visible.

So the last 2 took 1 week after planting.

Raised the light to 24” till the last 2 make up their minds. Then back down to about 12-18”.

Monday, 26 Apr 21…
Evening update…
All is well. First 4 are doing well. All are working on their second leaf set. Off green leaves with light green towards the center/stalk. The late gurls are coming along.

Tiny (BBFL) is lagging. With only the cotyledon showing and a teeny tiny first leaf visible. Stalk is firm and holding up the head just fine. Gently opened up the middle a bit to give that leaf some light. She’ll get the same treatment as the others till she says otherwise.

Soil is grayed a bit and cups feel light. Gave them all a splash and spritz of water. No runoff… Probably won’t water again till this weekend and that being the first introduction of nutrients.

Tuesday, 27 Apr 21…
Evening update…
And then there were 5. BBFL didn’t make it. Tiny (SCL, new Tiny) looks great. Nice dark green color and working on her first first set. All the other gurls are moving along nicely. Each working on their second set which should be the first 3 leaf :maple_leaf:

Put fan up. Temp and RH are within range at 78* and 70+ RH. Will check temps and RH in the morning.

Wednesday, 28 Apr 21…
Morning update…
Slightly droppy leafs on a couple so gave them a splash. If they pipe up I’ll water till runoff with PH’d water. Leaves are not swollen as in over watered.

Thursday, 29 Apr 21…
Morning update…
Leaves still droopy. Still green but a lighter green. Not water. Still has signs of growth with all but Tiny (SCL) working on their first 3 blade. Big Sister (SCO) is working on her 3rd set.

Tonight I will whip up a batch of nutrients at 1/4 strength. Nutrients will always be adjusted to 6.5+/- after brewing.

Evening update…
Fed nutrients. Adjusted to 6.5.

Friday, 30 Apr 21…
End of week 2S/2…
Morning update…
Not looking good. Shriveled first leaves everywhere. With only 24 hours after a diluted ph’d feeding they aren’t showing signs of recovery…yet!

Checking things off…Over watered…? Temp is on the 78-82 range. RH high 65-75. Soil was fresh out the bag. LED sits at about 16”. Turned RH down to 70ish. Ph’d water…?

So we’re in respond mode. Will change light cycle early to give them a chance to recover.

Evening update…
All is well in the garden. All the gurls will drop their droopy first leaves and are recovering well. Will know for sure on Sunday.

Curiosity…what was the FRESH SOIL? Was thee a buffer between the fresh soil and the seedling?

Freshly opened Nectar 4. No buffer… Something to think about though. Something in something that I did made them do what they did…lol. That’s why I checked things off. Same process every year and never this. I try to keep my utensils clean bu maybe there was some kind of residue left behind.

Observe, react (not over react), respond (not over respond…LOL). I’ve never panicked cause the plant will fix herself if corrected soon enough.

As always a good question and food for though…

@BlackIrishRedneck it might be the soil ph not the watering or feeding ph. Nectar for the Gods #4 has coco coir in it and is rinsed with rain water. It’s entirely possible that the ph in the batch you got is off.

1 Like

Give that guy a cookie…lol. Agree whole heartedly that it could be a PH issue. I always adjust but had to recalibrate several times yesterday. My PH meter may be bad. Gonna order another 1-2 in the meantime.

This mornings update is warranted because of last week’s update…

Monday, 03 May 21…
Morning update…
Gurls look good. Soil is dried. Will water this evening.

Evening update…
Watered all the gurls till runoff. Let them sit in runoff overnight so they could soak some back up.

Tuesday, 04 May 21…
Morning update…
The best feeling after watering is finding all your gurls perked up and reaching for the stars. Nice colors. Everyone working on the 2nd and 3rd set. They are responding nicely to the new light and feeding schedule.

1 Like

@BlackIrishRedneck did you do a slurry test on the soil? It gives you a fairly accurate measure of soil ph. If it’s high some neem meal or dry molasses will help bring it back down. If it’s low kelp meal or lime will help bring it back up.

2 Likes

@BlackIrishRedneck glad the girls have started recovering though. :grin::v:

2 Likes

You know I thought about grabbing some of the runoff but it was a fleeting thought at best…lol.

2 Likes

@BlackIrishRedneck a slurry test will give you a better idea of ph at the root zone. Run off ph and ppm can give you an idea if you have salt build up or excessive nutrients causing issues but it can also be misleading in a soil especially with organics and living soils. Nutrients break down slowly in organics and the water can pass straight through and have the same ph going in and coming out. A slurry test near the root zone is your best bet.

1 Like
1 Like

Oh yea, that’s how I test. Just didn’t do it. And I always adjust to 6.5.

1 Like

Thursday, 06 May 21…
Gurls look good. All cups are grayed. Will brew up some nutrients at 25%.

Friday, 07 May 21…
WEEK 3S/3…
Morning update…
End of week 3 of seedling. Watered all till runoff. All look good. All working on 3rd 4th set. BigSister has roots coming out of bottom of cup.

Will transfer all gurls to 1 gallon cloth once cups dry out. They will remain in the cloth pots for least 2-3 weeks. My outside temps are still in the 30’s to 40’s at night.

With all officially working on 3-4th set will move them into veg stag.

so when are you going to upload some pics for us? You peaked my curiosity to see your garden grow

Oh man, I read all the way down here and you left me hangin’. I’m growing Banner Fast indoors now, and was hoping to pick up some tips. If you catch this, let us know how it turned out, at least. Thanks

1 Like