New grower with many of stupid questions

Dude, if you ask 100 growers how to grow and you shall get 100 different answers.
Take it from me, though, if you want the tried and true, lowest cost method.
You are growing in containers inside an enclosed structure, your house/apt. Therefore, you must use container media and a grow light. For the grow light, I strongly recommend the Mars Hydro SP3000 or the ViparSpectra XS4000. These lights have the complete spectrum of the sun, enabling to use them for both vegetative and flowering stages.
Container Media: I personally use Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite. I buy them in bulk sizes at Home Depot for the cheap. Use 50/50 mix of moss and perlite. Any less perlite and your plants will suffocate. Don’t put anything else in your container, ESPECIALLY NOT COMPOST/MANURE. Compost/Manure will clogg up your media and choke your plants. Plants need to BREATHE.
Do NOT bother with adding mycorrhiza or any other “organic” fertilizer/supplements. You will be just pissing in the wind and wasting your money. Do not bother making “organic tea”. It’s an expensive cluster Foock. Instead, put about 3 quarts of compost inside a panty hose in a 5 gallon bucket and aerate for 2 days. TDS should be over 2000 ppm. FILTER THE WATER AGAIN through a large screen tea strainer or equivalent. They are available at Walmart. You do NOT want any fine particles inside your containers. Use this dissolved compost as fertilizer. Most compost has high nitrogen but not as much as K or P. You may want to add K/P to the compost liquid.
If you have a completely dark isolated area in your abode, do not use the grow tent and do not plant auto flowers. If no dark room, don’t use a grow tent and plant auto flowering plants.
I really could care less if you listen to me or not; but the above advice is proven, effective, and recommended by professionals (botanists and horticulturalists).
Many good fertilizers are available but just don’t believe all their hype. I personally use 2-3 parts of Botanicare Pure Blend Grow Nutrient and 1 part of Fox Farm Grow Big for the vegetative stage. Too much phosphorus (Grow Big) will enhance phosphoric acid production and you will have to flush more often. Pot plants don’t require in the vegetative stage that ratio of Grow Big P; that’s the reason to use the Pure Blend mixture. Flowering stage nutrient requirements are different. Research that part when you get to that stage. But don’t buy Fox Farm Big Bloom - it’s expensive and not necessary. Stick to “non-organic” stuff.
Good Luck with everything.

1 Like