Horrible yields

The bud is beautiful. So that’s a positive step. I always feel I learn a little from reading posts like this. MDBuds always seems to have excellent replies and good advice that implies he has some botanical education so that’s nice to read. I’m using cloth pots even when I was using soil. As I mentioned I use 3 gallon pots my plants fill my 2x4x5 tent I wish it were a 6 foot tall tent, lights are cranked up to max height. Though the plants are only 2 feet tall it’s crowded so I think I’m going to drop back to 3 or 4. Another aspect I tried this year is cloning some cuttings, they’re flourishing in a window sill starting to flower and I’m putting them in the tent to finish as soon as the others come out in a week or so. Too much fun but I’m 66 and easily amused. Take care.

6 Likes

@MDBuds, hope all is well :grin:.
Question: When I hear someone say that they got an lb off that indoor grown plant my question is, is that when it’s freshly cut? Or, is that after it’s been dried & cured?

I like growing indoors because I can control the environment better. BUT, the only time I get an lb from indoors plant is when it’s still wet/fresh cut weighed immediately. Once it’s dried, trimmed an cured it is much, much less. So if their talking an lb after drying how the blazes :fire: are they doing it, lol

I use good organic soil
Organic nutrients from Roots
Add cal/mag/nitrogen
Worm castings
Excellent soil enhancer Bio Harmonics Tonic
10 gal. Fabric Pots
Manage temp/ humidity
What should I be checking?:thinking: I agree about growing your own, save some $$ & better quality all around. Thanks for all your knowledge sharing it is much appreciated!!!

2 Likes

@LilMic I’m talking after dry and cure. Before dry and cure it’s closer to 3-4 lbs wet.

A big part is the genetics you grow. You have to start with genetically high yielders. The next biggest part is environmental control and setting up the environment for your plants to express those genes. Next is lighting. You want a really good light capable of 1000ppfd or more so that you can dial in the proper DLI in veg and flower to keep DLI around 60 without C02. Next step is pot size. The bigger the root the bigger the fruit. Bigger pots often allow for larger harvests because you have a higher soil volume, larger root mass, and less chances of having soil issues in organic living soil because soil is a buffer.

I usually don’t tell new growers to grow like this though because it can easily get overwhelming until they get the basics down and understand that even if they have everything right such as light big pots and lots of soil they still need to grow the right cultivars, veg a little longer, and cultivate it properly. High yields will come with experience.

3 Likes

@LilMic this one is a big Gold Leaf bud from one of my last photo grows. This bud was bigger than my hand and the branch was as long as my arm with other pretty large buds on it.

4 Likes

@LilMic the main top on this critical purple I grew was huge too. Forgot to photograph it after harvest but that main cola was the size of my arm and weighed almost 6 ounces by itself when it was dry.

4 Likes

@MDBuds beautiful :heart_eyes: I pulled just over a lb off a white widow grown indoors. But after it cures & dries I’m lucky to have 1/2. They are extremely sticky & wet & heavy. Maybe I’m doing something wrong​:thinking:
So is it safe to say the high yields people are posting are weight when first cut?

1 Like

@LilMic All weights should be dried weight. These are my 4 plants from Xmas day chop, dried out to 12.5 oz for the 4 of them. That’s about 3 ounces of good smokable weed per plant. They were Death Bubba clones (photos). I let them get as big as I could dare for my 4x4 tent since I can only have 4 going at a time (legally).

I have an auto Bruce Banner going now as well as a couple of photo plants, and I’d like to get 2 oz dried off of her in a couple months time. The photos I will let veg for a while yet so I can get 3 or 4 oz off each of them. Dried!

4 Likes

@LilMic I don’t know if you’re doing anything wrong persay but we’re talking tent yield not single plant yield usually too. White widows can yield decent but the most you can usually get from one dry indoor is about 1lb with the best conditions. 1 lb wet and about 4-6 ounces dry is about average. If you veg longer and train a little heavier though you can get it up there. Need to remember too though that your light and environment has a lot to do with it.

3 Likes

I have an oversize 2x4x6 that I grow in. I generally flower 2-3 photos at a time. A 1lb harvest for the entire tent would be a great harvest. Depending what im growing, I usually don’t have a problem getting 100g per plant and when you get a good one 200g on a single plant is attainable in a small tent. I am going to try my first auto run and have no idea what kind of yields to expect. If I had the room and and height, I think I could push at least 1/2 lb or more on some of my sativas.

@MDBuds I have a grow room 7’ x 10’. I converted a storage room. The temp is 68-70° & rh 38-43% continuously. I went with 10 gal fabric pots this time.
My last harvest using 7 gal pots for white widow weighed in at 28 ozs wet. When it was trimmed, dried & cured I got about 8 ozs. Is that normal? Seems like a large loss of weight.

@LilMic buds lose 75-80% of their weight in dry and cure from losing all that water weight so 8 Oz dry from 28 Oz is just above 7 Oz so that’s pretty much right on point.

If you’re looking for a 1lb harvest you need 4 lbs wet.

3 Likes

@MDBuds wow! Well at least I’m not doing anything wrong. That’s a big change in weight. My stuff was super wet which I’m not use to that. I learn something new all the time. Thank you😁

1 Like

Gotcha, I thought it was plant yield, my mistake. That’s why I asked, I’m like how are they getting this from 1 plant. So it’s the total of all grow done. Cool then I’m doing ok

1 Like

I’m of the opinion that the biggest impediment to maximized yield is stoners calling the grow. I’m doing better at ignoring my maturing plants since I began a staggered planting schedule. Instead of getting nervous about my nine week old bud, I’m babying the sprouts. The bud is pretty much on autopilot at this stage. Let it get dry, feed/water, and pour the light to it.

I’m convinced I COULD harvest in about a week or two. I’m also absolutely sure that as long as it’s drinking water and not gone all amber, there is fattening going on. Whatever good stuff there is will either end up jarred, or in the trash with 5he root ball. An extra week or two of nurturing might significantly add, maybe even double yield, I dunno about you, but I figure if I’ve come this far, I just need to distract myself and let it ripen fully. It’d be a shame to trash that last half ounce in the root ball.

Me too. I loved the 70’s. Colombian gold bud, redbud, and that dark brown seedy bud was almost a religion with me.

Don’t give up it gets better with time: you’ve made the investment lets hang in there to get it to pay off: you mentioned Fem and 6 months, if you took some clones they not only would keep you occupied but will add to your yield or be Veg ready to go to flower when the mothers are finishing: cutting that time to second harvest in half: clones are free off setting your cost per plant! Saving both time and money :yin_yang::ballot_box_with_check::100:

I’m new at this and had a question about PH. I have a test kit I use for my aquariums. And My water is very soft. Can I just test the PH with my test kit before using it?
Since my water supply is consistent, I will assume testing periodically with be okay? That I will not need a PH meter.

The test strips will work fine. Periodic testing is ok too. Also testing if the water changes in color or smell.

As long as the water is in the 6-7 range no adjustment is needed. Possible dechlorination if chlorine is high, but normal regulated tap water is usually fine.

1 Like