Coffee to lower soil pH?

@Marijuana_dan :v::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: actually, i have about 6 or 7 bottles of ph up and down. i use lemon juice. one little drip drop of lemon juice brings a gallon of aerated 7.2 ph water to 6.4. works great for me. and you can test that aerated water two weeks later, it’ll still be 6.4 ph. keeps them green and mean …LoL

20211217_143102 20211217_143526

3 Likes

Have any of you all ever started a seed in a used tea bag it works really well I’ve done more than once back in day

1 Like

I appreciate the advice. I don’t think coffee is very effective. I have some Espoma acidifier that I used in the garden to lower the pH for my blueberries, but I just don’t have a good understanding of it. I’ll see if the Espoma people have customer support and maybe discuss it with them. They make good products at Espoma. I grow a lot of vegetables and I swear by Bio-Tone.

2 Likes

From the Epsoma web site it is derived of sulphuric acid and gypsum. Sulphuric acid has a ph of 2.7. The gypsum is a binder so it doesn’t wash away with the first water or rain. That would make it between 100 to 1000 times more acidic than coffee. Ph scale is logarithmic so it’s x10 each point of ph scale. If the coffee around 4.8 doesn’t move your ph down at all I would suspect you have hard water (high kh). Does your coffee pot or shower head get a lot of lime scale build up.?

The beauty of coffee or juice is it’s hard to over do it. I would be careful using such a strong ph down on your cannabis. Nutrient lock out if dipped that low. At least be careful using it as a soil amendment. You would probably have better control using liquid sulphuric acid and ph your water and or nutrients first. VS adding the gypsum/sulphur mix to the soil.

I have a massive blueberry patch too, I know what you mean about the acid loving berries. Love to eat them.🫐

It looks like the biotone is a mycoboost. That stuff sounds great. And certified organic I would definitely add it to the cannabis too.

2 Likes

the longer u let your coffee seep in the grinds, the more acidic it will be.

1 Like

Lemon juice, love it!

1 Like

We used to catch nightwalkers for fishing when I was a kid. They come up after a nice rain, easy pickin’s. ;o)

1 Like

You mean night crawlers my friend happy growing

3 Likes

Lol, true. Not walkers - those are creepy skeletons with skin, lol.
D’oh. (slaps forehead)

2 Likes

That’s the way i have them at my place I’ve turned them out in my yard over the years from bring them back from fishing trips now i can spray my yard night before going fishing and catch dozens in no time @Dogger plus all red worm’s also

2 Likes

This grow Ive added some grinds to my mix when I moved my seedlings to 2 gal pots. Last grow I used sulfur water and vinegar to reduce pH and I think they did good but the coffee smells much better. Will check the pH before I water next and see where it sits and adjust if needed.

Real lemon juice, as in from a fresh squeezed lemon? Or are you talking bottled lemon juice? Interesting.

Use apple.cider vinager to lower pH it works wounders just a tablespoon per gallon will drop from8 to 6 snap of s finger