Autoflower PPFD and DLI

Hey guys,
It’s been a min since my last post. I finished up with a beautiful White Widow who yielded a little over 3oz. Not too bad for my second grow. I decided to start a new grow and after doing some research I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on PPFD and DLI and what it should be during each stage. Hope all is well and thanks!

1 Like

@Topher85 I have a post on here about DLI already including the dli for each stage of photoperiods.

The dli for an auto should meet or exceed the veg minimum dli I have listed on the post. I’ll share the link for you here.

1 Like

Dude that’s a crazy breakdown, thank you. Not going to lie I’m kinda confused haha. I downloaded an app to my phone to get a roundabout figure and I currently have my young plants/seedling around 40 DLI. If I understand what you sent then that’s way to high, is this correct? Also if I stay at 40 or higher will my yield also increase? Sorry for all the questions, this is just wild to me. Thanks!

1 Like

@Topher85 the values posted at the bottom are the minimum DLI. 40 mols/m2d DLI is only 15 mols/m2d over the minimum for veg which might be just a hair too much for seedlings but since they’re autos they probably won’t even flinch at it. I run my autos 40-60 mols/m2d DLI with great results.

As long as they aren’t bleaching or getting light stress or stunting from light intensity you’re golden.

I’ll actually be doing an 80 mols/m2d run here soon with some c02 just to test out a theory I have about the 30% yield increase with c02 and the 30% thc potency increase you can gain from using UVB. I’ve already proven anecdotally the 30% potency increase with proper uva and uvb usage so the next step is testing the yield increase of c02.

Running white widow again since I know its average weight and potency. If I get a 30% increase in yield and maintain the average potency of 25% thc or better I’ll know my experiment worked.

If you want help figuring out uvb lighting as well later on hit me up and I’ll help you work out what you need.

UVB is measured differently than visible light and currently the only tech that measures UVB accurately is pretty damn expensive so us homegrowers have to use math and estimate.

1 Like

This is an insane amount of information haha. Thank you, I’m using an app to keep my light around 40 DLI right now. I actually believe this will help save on my electric bill with hopefully positive results. 1 last question, are you adjusting your light height and power throughout the life of your plants or do you typically alter 1 or the other. Thanks again!

1 Like

@Topher85 I adjust height and intensity when needed for stage of growth. That all varies depending on the light you have. You just want to make sure you keep the proper distance to maintain proper ppfd at the canopy. I personally do 300-500 ppfd at the canopy for seedlings, 500-700 for veg, and 700-900 for flower.

Man I’m really glad I asked that question. I was running 50-60 DLI but my PPFD was over 800 and I’m only in my 3rd week. The plants have been responding fantastic but I feared as they grew I would need to adjust. I’m now under 700 at about 45 DLI. Thanks!!!

1 Like

@Topher85 that would be perfect if you’re running co2. Lol

1 Like